Thursday, August 11, 2011

He's here

We went in on Sunday night with contractions about every 30 seconds to a minute. After labor and deliver watched me for about five hours I was consistently contracting, but not dilating so they sent me home at about 3:00 am. I woke up Monday morning and was hurting so bad all day Monday. Finally that afternoon I told Zac we needed to go back up there. So we headed up to McKay AGAIN and I had dilated more so they admitted me. My contractions were hurting so bad. Thank goodness for epidurals.


They ended up admitting me about 4:oo and started my epidural about 6:30. Dr Seale was going to go to a movie with his family so he was going to wait and break my water after the movie, which I was okay with and actually felt bad for taking time away from his own family. After he left he came back about an hour later and told me the canceled the movie because the projector broke. Sad for his family, but lucky for me I guess. So, Dr. Seale broke my water about 8:00ish. I slowly progressed about one an hour and at about 10:30 she came in a checked me and I was at a seven. We did the hole turn sides and everything and she walked out of the room. Right then my lips started to chatter, I felt like I was freezing and I felt like I really needed to push. I called Andrea back in and she checked me again and sure enough, I went from a seven to a complete in about one minute. She hurried and called Dr. Seale while I tried so hard not to push him out. When Dr. Seale got there I pushed one little push and he was out. I couldn't believe it, it went so fast.


Beckem Jesse Mason was born at 11:07 p.m. He weighed 6 lbs 2 oz, 19.5 inches long. After I got to see him for just a second they took him to the transition nursery where he was really struggling to breath. We got to go sit with him and he was retracting, grunting and nasal flaring pretty bad. They were hoping he would pop out of it, but after about four hours the NICU doctor decided it would be best to admit him. So they admitted him the the NICU and placed a breathing tube in his throat. Even though it was hard to see him lying in the NICU intibated it was so much easier to see him not struggle so hard to breath. There is nothing harder than sitting there watching your new son struggle so hard to stay alive. You feel so helpless!!

The big thing around his mouth his is intibation tube.


Because he is struggling so hard to breath any kind of stimuli is hard on him because his whole body is trying to put all his energy into breathing so we couldn't hold him and could only touch with a firm hold and we tried not to bug him for too long.

They were finally about to take the breathing tube out and it wasn't until about 1:oo that afternoon that we finally got to hold him for the first time.



We went back to see him later that night and they told us that he took about an hour or two to recover from all the stimuli of us holding him so we weren't able to hold him again that night. It's so hard to watch your baby be sick and not be able to hold him or comfort him, but I know that he is getting the best care and the most important thing right now is getting him to not fight so hard to breath.


Once they took his breathing tube out they put him on high flow oxygen. It's like a c-pap machine that forces his lungs to stay open. They put him on five liters and will slowly turn it down if he tolerates is. They told us it's like sticking your head out the car window at 80 mph, so because of that he can't eat yet because he can't get that much force of air and drink at the same time.


We decided to go home that night because the other boys were missing us so much. That drive from the hospital to my mom's felt like a 10 hour drive. It was comforting to know that your son is in such good care, but it was so hard leaving the hospital without him.














1 comment:

  1. He is a doll! I am so happy to hear that he is doing well and fighting. I love his name. My first son's name is Jesse so I am partial to that also. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete