Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Patience being a patient

It all started last Saturday my stomach (the outside, more my belly than stomach) and my back were hurting so bad. I joked with Zac at the grocery store that I was going into labor. Even though I was joking, I was hurting so bad. The pain never really went away and on Tuesday I couldn't ever get warm. That night my whole body was just shaking and I was FREEZING. Zac took my temp and it was 103.8. I took some tylenol and every four-six hours the temps would just keep coming back. I went into my OB on Wednesday and he put me on two antibiotics. The temps continued and Friday came around and I was still having temps every six hours with my stomach and back pain hurting still. I went back into see Dr. Seale thinking he would just change my antibiotics and he told me he thought I looked horrible and needed to be admitted to the hosptial. I didn't really argue because I felt HORRIBLE and wanted to know what was going on.


After four attempts to start my IV they had to call interventional radiology to start my IV under ultrasound and he even struggled a little bit : ( While we were waiting for my IV to be started lab came up to draw my blood and they couldn't even get enough blood because it was so thick. She even said my blood was as thick as mud. She sent down a pediatric tube of blood (that's all she could draw) and of course it clotted.


To make a LONG weekend short, I was poked a total of 11 times in two days and every test they ran came back negative. I was on three different IV antibiotics every SIX hours and still spiking temps?? Dr Seale came in on Sunday and told me he was going to release me to go home because he didn't know what else to test me for. He was comfortable sending me home because he ruled out everything that was harmful to me and my little baby, but it's still a mystery why my body was having such high fevers and why I was having so much pain.


I am feeling SO MUCH better now and am grateful for whatever it was is now gone. I never want to feel that sick again. It was the longest weekend of my life. It was so hard to be on the other side of my job. It's hard to be a patient when you are used to taking care of the patient. I am so grateful to the great staff that took care of me, it made it a little bit easier to be there. I just hope whatever it was never comes back!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I had no idea! Hope you are doing better! Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jeez! That is not fun at all! I love Dr. Seale...I'm sure he took good care of you :) thanks for leaving that sweet comment about Brighton on my blog. She is doing soooo much better now and you can barely even see most of the bumps.
    I hope you are feeling better and that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. Oh and I just wanted to tell you I was thinking about you and your baby girl the other day, but then I realized you don't know if you are even having a girl yet, so I thought I'd let you know that I'm feeling that it's a girl :) Hope to see you soon at McDonald's or Chick-fil-A!! ha ha :) We should get together really, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about a crazy story... even though they never were able to identify the cause, I'm glad you are finally feeling better! *

    ReplyDelete