Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Halloween I will NEVER forget!!

Halloween night we ate dinner and went around our neighborhood trick-or-treating.  I love how many kids their are in our neighborhood and how fun our neighborhood is on Halloween.  We didn't trick-or-treat for too long because we were going to meet Josh and Tate up at Jerry and Diana's and go around with them.  We loaded in the truck and headed up to Perry.  We got on the freeway and headed North.  We weren't on the freeway very long when we noticed that the cars were backing up.  I noticed a vehicle turned over in the median and there were no EMS there yet. Zac asked if he should pull over.  I hesitated because I was in my Ninja suit but decided to stop and make sure everything was okay.  There were a few people standing around so I figured everything was under control.  As I ran up to the scene I asked if they needed help.  There was a young girl curled up on the ground.  As soon as I said I was a nurse everyone backed up and said "yes, please help, we don't know anything medical"  There was one lady holding the young girl's head and she told me she was a nurse practitioner.  She told me that the girl had a carotid pulse, but wanted me to check for a femoral because her carotid wasn't very strong.  I couldn't feel a femoral so we decided to start CPR.   I started doing chest compressions on her.  As soon as I started blood squirted every where.  I sent a man to go to my truck and grab a one way valve mask that I had in there.  In the meantime we just kept doing chest compressions.  The man that I sent to go get the mask took forever, he kept talking to Zac.  Finally by the time he got back EMS had arrived and they had suction.  We suctioned out her mouth and tried to bag her for breaths, but as soon as we did blood was squirting out of her ears.  EMS brought over an AED and we placed the pads on her.  The AED didn't advise a shock so we continued with chest compressions.  A gentleman took over for me with the chest compressions and I went over to help the EMTs with their meds.  In the meantime Air Med landed on the freeway.  We got an IO in her and gave her meds and started fluids.  By this time we were asked to leave the scene so the NP and I walked over to my truck to get cleaned up.  She was so funny, as we were walking away she said to me, "it's not everyday that someone gets worked on in a Ninja suit"  We just laughed and I told her I wasn't going to stop because of my outfit.  I am glad I did though. 

We headed up to Jerry and Diana's and I went into the bathroom and cleaned up.  Zac luckily had shorts on under his Ninja pants so he gave me his pants to wear and Diana gave me a sweatshirt to wear.  We missed Josh and Tate and didn't get to see them but we did get to go trick-or-treating with Scott and Dani's girls. 

I found out later that night that the girl passed away.  Her boyfriend was in the truck with her and survived. My heart breaks for him and for her family.  I found out later from her obituary that she was only 17 years old and the oldest of four kids.  I have never had to do chest compressions outside of the hospital and it was really hard.  It's such a helpless feeling because until EMS got there, there wasn't much we could do for her.   I am so glad I stopped, but I am so sad that she didn't make it.  I had a really hard time with it, because I felt like I failed, but Zac has been so good to me and reassured me that it was her time to return back home.  I just wish it was a different outcome, but so glad that she is in a better place.  I am so grateful for my nursing knowledge.  I love helping people, even when it's not the outcome that I wish it was.  I am so grateful I could help where I could.  Definitely a Halloween I will never forget!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment